06/07/2020 12:55 AM IST
Who doesn't love a perfect set of shiny white teeth? Everyone aspires to have those perfect sparkling white smile. Oral dental care is a big industry as it takes a lot of effort to maintain those sparkling white teeth. However you need to make informed choices, do not believe everything that an advertisement tells you. Here is how you can take care of your teeth:
1. Brush your teeth 2 times a day: make sure your children get into the habit of brushing their teeth 2 times a day. Taking care of your teeth helps prevent plaque, which is a clear film of bacteria that sticks to your teeth. Brushing in the night is essential as well because it prevents germs from decaying your teeth over night.
2. Be mindful while consuming high sugar content foods: as per research sugar converts into acid in your mouth and that may lead to erosion of your enamel. These acids are what cause cavities. You need not avoid these foods altogether, all you need to do is be mindful of what you are consuming and follow good oral care routine.
3. Avoid sodas: soda cause similar damage to your teeth like high sugar content foods. Replace sodas with natural fruit juices, milk, or water. water is the most preferred beverage.
4. Make sure to clean your tongue: not just your teeth and gums you need to take care of your tongue too. Not cleaning your tongue thoroughly can lead to the accumulation of plaque and a whole lot of complex problems linked to taste, hyper sensitivity in the tongue etc.
5. Use toothpaste that contains fluoride: fluoride helps to harden tooth enamel and it helps in protecting your teeth from tooth decay. The next time you pick up your toothpaste check the contents.
6. Floss your teeth: flossing your teeth is as important as brushing them however you need to learn how to do it right. Floss helps clean the remains of food particles that get stuck in the middle of your teeth. However, if you don't floss your teeth right you may injure your gums.
7. Drink lots of water: drinking water is the best way to keep your mouth clean. Drink water after meals as it helps clear acids and sticky food that gets stuck in your teeth.
8. Use mouthwash: using a mouth wash is a good idea, it helps reduce the acid in your mouth and re-mineralize your teeth.
9. Visit your dentist twice a year: visiting your dentist twice a year is essential to keep a tab on the condition of your teeth. Your doctor will guide you in the oral health care regime you need to follow, as each person needs to follow different steps depending on the quality of their teeth. Also, in case you do develop a cavity you can take corrective measures before it is too late.
Despite the oral health regime being the most simple to follow we often tend to ignore it. A lot of us tend to forget that we need to take care of each part of our body. Just like to sleep well to stay healthy, eat well to build your immunity, exercise to keep fit, and so on. It is important to develop and maintain good oral care habits to ensure your children and you have a great set of teeth. Follow these simple steps and ensure you take good care of your teeth!