06/07/2020 13:09 PM IST
Vision is part of 5 senses each individual poses (sense of sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing). While every sense is important vision is considered essential as the sense of sight helps a child see their surroundings. Weak eyesight can lead to a blur vision and cause further strain on the retina. Though today with technology, sight can be corrected, however it is best to train your child to take care of their eyes with simple things they can follow in their daily routine, because as it is always said precaution is better than cure.
Here are a few tips that you can get your child to follow to take care of their vision:
1. Use anti-glare glasses: wearing anti-glare specs is now something all doctors recommend. This because today screens are an integral part of our lives, you can limit the exposure to the screen however there is no escaping them. You may not have a number and wear corrective specs, but anti-glare specs help limit the strain to the eyes, which in the long run is good for your eyes.
2. Use sunglasses when outside: when out in the sun use sunglasses. They protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays that the sun emits. It is essential to wear sunglasses if you are out in the sun often.
3. Exercise your eyes: staring for long at the screen or books can cause stress to the eyes which can lead to headaches and in a lot of cases blurs the vision. It is advisable to take breaks often and do some simple eye exercises as it helps in releasing stress. Simple things like closing your eyes, stare at a flame, or taking your eyeballs to the corner of your eyes. You will feel the stress around your eye is immediately relieved.
4. Sleep well: giving your eyes rest is important. Just like your body, your eyes need to relax too. 7 - 8 hours of sleep helps in rejuvenating the eyes.
5. Limit screen time: the 21st-century child is a digital native and is born with screens around them. TV, laptops, phones, tablets, and more. They will use these screens as they are essential tools, however, limit the screen time to a maximum to 2-3 hours till your child is 10 to 12 years. The lesser they stare at the screen the better it is for their vision.
6. Eat healthy food: vitamins and nutrients are essential for maintaining a healthy body they same applies to your vision too. Eat vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamin A and omega 3 as they help in improving the sense of sight.
7. Wear glasses regularly if you have a number: it is important to wear glasses or use contact lenses if you have a number. They help in seeing clearly and regular use of numbered glasses can also lead to an improvement in vision. Careless usage of glasses may cause increase in number/ further weakening your vision.
8. Hydrate your eyes: excessive exposure to screens can lead to dry itchy eyes, so wash your eyes often. You can also use eye drops after consulting your doctor.
Ask a blind person the importance of vision and hearing impaired child the importance of being able to hear. As mentioned above each of our senses is essential and if children follow these simple tips and build it into their routine they will be able to take care of their vision.