06/07/2020 13:20 PM IST
It is amazing that your skin is the largest organ in your body! Skin plays a vital role in regulating the body's temperature, insulation and production of vitamin D. These are among a few reasons why the health of your skin has such a huge impact on your overall physical health. Your skin is an essential part of your body. It protects the inner layers of your body. Skin is delicate and needs regular care. Most people do not realise the importance of taking care of their skin. Not taking care of your skin can lead to dry skin, itchiness, and dull skin. Each one of us has different skin types, some have oily skin while some have dry skin and some have normal skin.
Taking care of your skin is one of the easiest tasks; here are a few simple tips for taking care of your skin:
1. Wash your face at least three times a day: we live in a world where there is a whole lot of pollution, the dirt in the air sticks to our skin blocking the pores of our skin, washing your face at least three times a day makes sure the pores are clear. Use a skin-type appropriate face wash for best results.
2. Moisturize your skin: your skin needs regular moisturization. Use a light moisturizer to avoid dry and flaky skin. Make sure you use a moisturizer that suits your skin type for the best outcome.
3. Exfoliate your skin once a week: exfoliation is a process of removing dead skin cells using a gentle scrub. This is important as yet again it helps in letting the live skin cells breathe and leads to glowing healthier skin. However, make sure you do not over-exfoliate your skin as it will lead to damaging the healthy cells.
4. Avoid oily food: oily food is not good for your health in general. Excessive oily food can lead to oily skin. This eventually leads to pimples, acne, etc. it is a great idea to eat a balanced diet and limit the intake of oily food to two times a week at the most.
5. Do not expose your skin to the sun for long: your body and skin do need sun rays however excessive exposure does lead to skin diseases. The best is to limit venturing out in the sun during the afternoon and when you do step out do not expose your skin so use sunglasses and a scarf.
6. Use sunscreen: another essential product that you should always have in your house is a sunscreen lotion. We all know that UV rays that the sun emits damage our bare skin, so protect your skin with a skin appropriate sunscreen lotion.
7. Drink a lot of water: keeping yourself hydrated is a keep to a healthy body. The same applies to healthy skin too.
8. Remove makeup before you go to bed: it is best to avoid excessive makeup as it blocks the pores of your skin. However, if you do apply makeup, make sure you remove the makeup in the night before sleeping. Your skin rejuvenates itself in the night and needs to breathe well. Hence it is essential to clean your face before going to bed.
These are simple tips that can be adapted as part of your daily routine to maintain healthy glowing skin. Also, keep in mind to sleep well and adequately as your skin repairs itself when the body is at rest at night. A word of caution, visit a dermatologist once a year to check on the health of your skin and discuss the products you are using. However, do not fall into the trap of using excessive products as you can maintain healthy skin by following simple practices daily.